In Memory of the 100th Anniversary of the Glorious Epic
Gaziantep War of Independence Heroes Portrait Contest Specifications
Purpose: The purpose of this contest is to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the glorious epic and to immortalize our heroes.
Supporting Institutions: Gaziantep University, Gaziantep Metropolitan Municipality and Gazikültür Inc.
Organizer: Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts Painting Department, Gazikültür Inc.
Categories: Oil Painting, Watercolour and Drawing.
Exhibition Opening Date: 25.12.2020
Honorary President of the Competition Organization Committee: Prof. Dr. Arif ÖZAYDIN (Rector of Gaziantep University).
Project Consultant: Prof. Dr. Mustafa Cevat ATALAY (Faculty Member at Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Painting).
Contest Organizing Committee Chairman: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ayhan Özer (Vice Dean of Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts and Head of Painting Department).
Contest Organizing Committee Members: Dr. Lecturer Taylan GÜVENİLİR, Lecturer Tuğrul Alpaslan DAMGACI, Res. Asst. Bekir BABA (Faculty Members at Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, Painting Department) and Hasan KESKİN (Gaziantep University Institute of Social Sciences, Department of Painting, Proficiency in Art Student).
Awards: 10 oil painting achievement awards, 10 watercolour achievement awards and 10 drawing achievement awards.
Start Date of the Contest: 10 November 2020
Application Deadline: Until the end of business hours on 21 December, 2020.
Selection Committee Final Meeting for Awards and Exhibitions: 23 December 2020
Online Award Ceremony: 25 December 2020
Online Exhibition: 25 December 2020
Exhibition Date and Place: 14 January 2021, Gaziantep University Historical Cenani Mansion Culture and Art Centre
Publication of the Online Exhibition Catalogue: 14 January 2021
1. The contest is open to artists (of all ages) from all over the world, except for Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts staff and first degree relatives of those who work in the Selection Committee.
2. The works that will participate in the contest will be made in three categories: oil painting, watercolour and drawing (pencil).
3. Each artist can participate in the contest with any number of works.
4. The theme is determined as “Portraits of Gaziantep War of Independence Heroes”. Click for detailed images of the Heroes of the National Struggle to be portrayed.
5. The works participating in the contest must not have participated in any contest before, must not have received an award or must not have been exhibited anywhere.
6. Dimensions of the works: short sides should not be less than 50 cm and long sides should not be larger than 100 cm.
7. The works participating in the contest must be delivered to Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts Deanery, Üniversite Bulvarı 27310 Şehitkamil-Gaziantep, Turkey address by hand or by mail, unframed, in safe package.
8. The deadline for submission of works sent to the contest domestically is till the end of business hours on Monday, December 21, 2020.
9. Participation from abroad: Participants can send the images of the works and participation forms to email@example.com and send the works by cargo or mail to Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts Deanery, Üniversite Bulvarı 27310 Şehitkamil-Gaziantep, Turkey. The deadline for submission of works by e-mail is until the end of business hours on Monday, December 21, 2020.
• Reasonable delays in participating the contest from abroad will be taken into consideration, but if the originals of the works do not reach the contest organizing commission, the awards of the works (if they are deemed worthy of the award) will not be granted.
• When participating from abroad, the images of the works must be in * .jpg format and the resolution of the images must be at least 2000 pixels in the short edge and submitted in this format.
• The application form must be signed and submitted with the work.
• In case of missing information and documents, the application will be excluded from judging without being considered by the selection committee.
• Award-winning works and works deemed worthy of exhibition will be announced on December 24, 2020 at http://gsf.gantep.edu.tr
• On the back of the works, there should be a label in A4 size, stating the name, painting year, dimensions, technique, name and surname of the artist, address and telephone details, affixed in a way that will not damage the work.
• All responsibility for possible damages and delays in the works sent by mail and cargo belongs to the artist.
• 2.000 TL will be granted for each of the 10 works to be selected in the oil painting category, 1.000 TL will be granted for each of the 10 works to be selected in the Watercolour category, and 1.000 TL will be granted for each of the 10 works to be selected in the Drawing category as well as certificates.
• The Selection Committee has the right to increase and decrease the amount of the awards and to make category changes if not enough works are deemed worthy of awards in each category.
• The works deemed worthy to be exhibited will be returned (Consignee Payment) to the owners after the exhibition is completed. However, in case the works are donated, they will be included in the collections of Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts and Gazikültür Inc. and will be exhibited permanently.
• Pre-Selection Committee evaluation; when the works reach the pre-evaluation commission until December 22, 2020, it gradually prepares, photographs and catalogues for the evaluation of the main selection committee.
• Main Selection Committee; among the works that were collected on December 23, 2020, it determines the works that passed the pre-selection and are eligible for awards and worthy of exhibition.
Faculty Members at Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, Painting Department; Dr. Lecturer Taylan GÜVENİLİR, Lecturer Tuğrul Alpaslan DAMGACI, and Res. Asst. Bekir BABA
Fatma ŞAHİN (Mayor of Gaziantep Metropolitan City)
Prof. Dr. Arif ÖZAYDIN (Rector of Gaziantep University)
M. Hakan TANRIÖVER (Gazikültür Inc. Chairman of the Board)
Prof. Dr. Halil İbrahim YAKAR (Gazikültür Inc. General Manager)
Prof. Dr. Mustafa Cevat ATALAY (Faculty Member at Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Painting)
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ayhan ÖZER (Head of Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, Painting Department)
Dr. Lecturer Taylan GÜVENİLİR (Faculty Member at Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Painting)
• The results of the contest will be announced on the internet.
• Award-winning works and all donated works are dealt as if they were purchased with all rights and enters collections of Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts and Gazikültür Inc. All intellectual and industrial property rights on the works belong to Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts and Gazikültür Inc.
• Within the scope of taking over the copyright of the awarded and donated works, all financial rights arising from the Law on Intellectual and Artistic Works in the articles 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 in the form of written processing, reproduction, dissemination, representation, and transmission to the public by means of sign, sound or image transmission (including the right to broadcast by satellite and cable) and making them accessible as in the form of international legislation are taken over from the artist without any additional fee throughout the legal protection periods defined in the Law and throughout the world as well as Turkey. In order to perform this transfer, the related parties accept and undertake that they will sign the attached statement regarding the transfer of all financial rights upon request.
• These works can be used by Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts and Gazikültür Inc. whenever they wish, for exhibition purposes or as visual materials over products and / or communication, advertising and promotional materials such as wall and table calendars, posters, brochures, postcards, agendas.
• Works that are not awarded, deemed worthy of exhibition or donated will be returned to the artists at the place of receipt or by cargo at their own expense and responsibility. The contest organizing commission is in no way responsible for the works that are not withdrawn within two months of the announcement of the results.
• In case of any dispute, Gaziantep courts are authorized.
• While participating in the contest, participants declare and accept that the pictures they sent were original and legally created by them, and that they would not in any way contradict the intellectual property of third parties, the rights arising from private and public law or the general law, statute or regulation to be applied and local legal practices, and that the works have not participated in similar contests, won awards or exhibited before.
• Participants accept and undertake in advance that any personal data they will share within the scope of this contract may be dealt within the scope of the relevant legislation in order to fulfil the contest requirements.
• In matters not specified in the specification or in case of doubt, the decisions of the organizing committee are valid.
• The organizing committee reserves the right to change the terms of participation.
Granting the Awards: Awards are paid within 14 working days at the latest to the account numbers to be given by the artists.
Certificate of Achievement and Participation: The documents of the artists whose works are deemed worthy of award and exhibition will be sent via e-mail. In addition, the documents requested physically can be delivered by hand from Gaziantep University Faculty of Fine Arts, or they can be sent with consignee payment to the recipient.